Thursday, July 30, 2009

Redefining "Course Prep"

Traditionally, "course prep" consists of preparing for class.

I haven't yet started to prepare classes for my two fall courses. By the traditional definition, then, I have not yet started my course prep.

I hate feeling like I haven't started this important task, so, in the interests of making myself feel better, I would like to propose a redefinition of this term that would include drafting the syllabi, ordering the textbooks, putting course material on reserve, and collecting the materials that I need to start writing the lectures.

I have done all those things already, so can I tell myself that I've started my course prep?

2 comments:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

And what else is there that's missing? Class lecture notes? I usually do those as I go along. But then again, I've never taught a course more than once. Can't wait to teach a course for the second time.

Scholar Wannabe said...

Preparing for class is primarily class lecture notes for me. I do most as I go along, but I'm aiming to have 2-3 weeks' worth of lecture notes prepared before the semester starts.