Thursday, February 12, 2009

Forgetfulness Can Be a Good Thing

Last fall, I edited a monograph for European Big Name Editing House.

As the author's mother tongue wasn't English, I was hired simply to correct the language. And as I had just returned from TLWTMS and had no income, the idea of being paid to correct someone's English seemed to be an easy decision.

I had been told that the work should take about thirty hours.

Sixty-two-and-a-half hours later, my own ability to speak English was utterly ruined, but I had completed editing the manuscript.

Big Name Editing House was happy to pay me per time so I sent off my banking information for a direct deposit of the payment. And then I completely forgot about it.

When I went to update my bankbook last week, I was very confused to find almost $2000 more in my account than I had expected. I was completely baffled at the presence of this money and completely convinced that the bank had incorrectly deposited it into my account.

But it turns out that the money legitimately belongs to me: it was simply the payment from European Big Name Editing House.

I hate to think that I'm already becoming old and forgetful.

But if it means that I'll find myself $2000 richer every time I update my bankbook, then maybe it's not such a terrible thing after all.

1 comment:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

"Sixty-two-and-a-half hours later, my own ability to speak English was utterly ruined"

:-D