The Dig (On Cleanliness and Godliness)
Today was the last day of the dig.
I’m staying at The School in The City until I leave for Hometown. And The School, bless its heart, has a washing machine in each residence building. So, today is also the first day that I’ve had access to a washing machine since leaving Hometown five weeks ago.
Over the past month, I’ve separated my clothes into two categories: clothes that I would wear to the site and clothes that I wouldn’t wear to the site.
I didn’t bother washing the clothes in the first category because wearing clean clothes into the field is simply an exercise in frustration: no matter how carefully one worked, one’s clean clothes would be covered in dust and dirt within a half hour of arriving at the site.
And I didn’t bother washing the clothes in the second category because I never wore them long enough to get them dirty. (In my opinion, a shirt cannot be dirty after having been worn for only three or four hours.)
It was quite a thrill to finally have access to a washing machine. But it was quite a shock to see the water turn brown as my “digging” clothes were washed. (It’s a front-loading machine and I find it amusing to watch my clothes get washed.)
If cleanliness really is next to godliness, then you might say that today is my day of sanctification.
Monday, August 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hallelujah!
Post a Comment