Time Well Wasted
The Plan was to start writing my thesis proposal almost three weeks ago.
The Plan did not come to pass.
Instead of writing, I went back to my secondary sources and made notes or drew diagrams. At other times, I re-organized my books and photocopies into different categories. On three different days, I parked myself in my chair to write the thesis proposal, but would then work on outlining my ideas instead.
I thought that I was stalling and trying to avoid writing in full sentences. But it turns out that I was actually "pre-writing."
In my so-called spare time (while eating at my desk, just before bed), I've been reading a book entitled Advice For New Faculty Members. The first section is on teaching, the second on writing, and I haven't yet read the third section.
Apparently, pre-writing is a very effective and efficient way to write. I would never have believed it, but it turns out to be true.
The evidence? I finished the first draft of my thesis proposal today in a measly 1.5 hours.
That's right, folks. The thesis proposal is now clothed in full sentences.
There are a few points for which I need to find some more bibliography. And in my editing phase, I'll need to articulate some of my ideas more clearly. But editing is easy. It's the act of creating text that is the most difficult part of writing (for me, anyhow).
And that part is now over.
Who knows? I may actually get this proposal in on time.
ETA: One of my "lurkers" (people who read this blog but don't comment), pointed out that I misspelled "editing." My gross infraction of spelling rules has now been corrected.
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
wow!!! hooray! congrats!!
I am MOST impressed!
Post a Comment