Monday, August 20, 2007

Book Withdrawal

I need my daily fix of books almost as badly as I need my daily fix of caffeine, so I'm in a rather sorry state today.

I needed to use the library catalogue, but discovered that the catalogue is undergoing maintenance and would be offline for the duration of the day.

But that's OK, I told myself. I can wait until tomorrow.

I already had the call number for a particular book that I need for lecture preparation, but the book is checked out and won't be due until next Monday.

But that's OK, I told myself. I can wait until next week.

But the proverbial straw that broke the proverbial camel's back happened over another book for which I already had the call number.

It is directly related to my thesis proposal and my study of North Country. And if I don't mention it in my work, it will appear as though I haven't done thorough research. There is one copy available in my school's library system and this copy is at one of the smaller libraries.

I absolutely must look at this book. But this small library is closed until September 10.

That's OK, I tell myself. I can wait until next month.

But we all know that I really can't.

2 comments:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

There is a thing over where I am. It's called "interlibrary loan." And you just put what you need on the computer, and then get it for you, from anywhere in the country!

Scholar Wannabe said...

We've got ILL, too.

But I would need to wait until at least Sept. 10 for the nearest library with this book would to ship it.