Monday, July 09, 2007

Uptown Girl

It's official, folks. I have now been house-sitting in the heart of my city's downtown for a full week.

The true appeal of this 7-week house-sitting arrangement was the five minute commute to the library (as opposed to my normal one hour commute). And I have truly been productive: after completing all the work that I owe to other people, I officially start working on my thesis proposal today!

On top of studying have been the normal housekeeping responsibilities. Grocery shopping, laundry, cooking, cleaning, watering plants, and even locking the doors and windows at night are dutifully carried out.

What I hadn't anticipated was how much I would miss the suburbs!

The window in my room faces The Royal Park Crescent, with its 24-hour traffic (that includes cars, motorcycles, buses, and tractor trailers). It's too noisy for my taste and I've been sleeping with ear plugs every night.

Further, the house is right next door to the College, so heaven forbid that curtains are pulled back and I'm still in my pajamas!

Finally, the house is OLD. So old, in fact, that the third floor is where the servants quarters were in those long ago days when homeowners had servants.

All of these observations have led me to realize that while I am a city girl, with the requisite love of concrete and tall buildings, I am also an uptown girl.

Better keep these things in mind when I finally get my own place!

As an aside, I've also discovered that although I'm an introvert, the house too big for just little ol' me. I think I'm going to start inviting friends over!

No comments: