Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My Plate Overfloweth...

I had thought that my summer would be solely consumed with completing the Thesis Proposal. Certainly, I thought to myself, four months would be more than enough time to finish this one task.

But I had forgotten that I would be giving a paper at a conference at the end of May (here I come, Saskatoon!). But, even if I spent the month of May writing this paper, three months would be more than enough time to finish my Thesis Proposal, right?

But then an abstract that I submitted in February was accepted for a conference in November (here I come, San Diego!). But, even if I spent the month of June writing this paper, two months would be more than enough time to finish my Thesis Proposal, right?


But then I was asked to teach a course on the Letter Writer's So-Called Theological Tractate (my name and course description are even up on the school's course listings!). But, even if I spent the month of July preparing for this course, one month would be more than enough time to finish my Thesis Proposal, right?

But then I remembered that I have a book review to complete and that I have another thesis to grade and that a cousin from Europe whom I haven't seen in fifteen years will be visiting for a week and that I'll be moving downtown to house-sit for two months...

My summer hasn't even started yet, and I'm already falling behind...

2 comments:

busterwife said...

bummer! i've discovered that there is no such thing as "a vacation" for the graduate student...

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

Oh yes! I'm completely with you there. So, I'm taking the week to "take-stock" of my summer plans to make sure that I can complete my dissertation proposal by August. If I get the fellowship I applied for, then for sure I've got to finish it by the end of the summer (coz that's what the fellowship would be for).