One Crown Wanted?
The fact that I'm officially ABD is only now beginning to sink in.
For the first few days after The Oral, I barely dared to tell anyone. If I did mention it, I would only say it very softly, hesitantly, and reverently lest a bold announcement of my new status result in the disappearance of aforementionned status. And it was only last night, nearly two full weeks after The Oral, that I permitted one of my closest friends to take me out to coffee as a celebration of this achievement. (She wanted to take me out for dinner, but I wouldn't let her.)
So, it's quite a shock to my senses that others can celebrate milestones in their journies to becoming Scholars-In-Actuality with great boldness. For example, one scholar-wannabe wore a crown for a day. A part of me is quite puzzled by this kind of behaviour. But another part of me thinks that perhaps this is not inappropriate behaviour. Heck, perhaps this is actually desirable behaviour.
Congratulatory notes and gifts continue to trickle in as people discover that I'm ABD. And a friend from school has arranged to meet me next week, hinting that the purpose of this get-together includes the delivery of a Congrats-on-being-ABD gift.
Who knows? Maybe when I unwrap it, there will be a crown inside.
Thursday, April 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
my daughter has the perfect one for you... wonderfully sparkly and princess like. and it only cost a $1! ha ha!!
or maybe you could just get yourself a fancy new coffee mug, or something like that. :-)
Post a Comment