Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Storm Has Arrived

Conversation with parents on Friday: (Dad was there, but said nothing as he's the strong, silent type)

S.W.: (bracing self for parental wrath) Umm, I got an email with some news that I think is good, but I think that you will think is bad.

Mom: You're going to TLWTMS, aren't you?

S.W.: Wow, mom, you guessed right on the first try!

Mom: I'm your mother; I always know these things. When are you leaving?

S.W.: February 2008.

Mom: So soon?!?

S.W.: Well, that's still almost a year away. You're taking this awfully calmly, mom. I had expected more objections.

Mom: Well, parents can't protect their children forever.

Well, mothers may know their children, but children also know their mothers.

My mom refused to discuss the topic anymore on Friday, was eerily calm yesterday, but today the storm arrived.

Translation: she won't talk about my trip or the fact that my decision contradicts her wishes, but she sure is going to criticize everything that I do from now until I leave.

But if she really knows me as well as she thinks she does, then she has already realized that nothing is going to change her very stubborn daughter's mind.

1 comment:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

i don't recall you mentioning mother was an issue in all this. ah well, kudos for fortitude. He has spoken, and it shall come to pass, n'est-ce pas?