Sunday, February 25, 2007

Mommy's Little Girl

While my mother and I agree that doctors, lawyers, and engineers are necessary for society to function, she seems to think that they make the world go 'round. I disagree. Thus, some years ago, she was greatly disappointed by my decision not to become a "real doctor."

But, I may have finally atoned for my foolishness.

During the lecture that I gave, I was impressed by the questions asked by one of the mature students. Being curious about this student's background, I did a wee bit of "research": I googled the student's name. (I suspect that there is something unorthodox and improper about googling your students' names, but you can hardly blame me when that student asks questions that are more intelligent than the combined intelligence of the questions asked by his/her classmates.) My search revealed this student's place of employment and his/her position at aforementioned place of employment.

My mother was quite delighted when I shared the results of this "research" with her. You see, while it is unlikely that I will ever be a member of the "club that makes the world go 'round," I've done something better, for mommy's little girl is not simply teaching a doctor, or a lawyer, or an engineer.

She's teaching a Professor of Engineering.

2 comments:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

I totally get that! My mom was astounded when I told her about the possibility that I might be teaching medical residents [read: doctors]!

busterwife said...

oh man, that was so funny (the ending totally suprised me)! way to gain some points in your mom's book. ; )