Saturday, August 05, 2006

An Experiment in Extraversion: Introduction to the Scholar-Wannabe Blog


I am not under any illusions about the normal person’s desire to invest an entire lifetime in studying only one book.

But I never said that I was normal.

Now, if one is going to study
only one book, then it should be a good book. And so, I am training to be a scholar of the Good Book (well, the second half of it, anyway).

Lest you come under the impression that I’m an intellectual snob, I don’t use the term “scholar” to refer to a person who is exceedingly intelligent. I use the term to refer to a person who is acutely aware of their exceeding ignorance and seeks to decrease that ignorance.

Why this blog:
  • To keep y’all up-to-date on my journey (academic and otherwise) to the status of “scholar of the Good Book”
  • To try to “translate” scholarship about the first century C.E. for the twenty-first century C.E.
  • To share interesting ideas and quotations from others who have studied the Good Book
  • To talk about (and complain about) the joys of teaching

So, welcome to my weird and wonderful world.

2 comments:

Lonely Dissertator-No-More said...

I see you've finally decided to join the ranks. Welcome to the blogosphere!

Q said...

aha, these must be the writings and thoughts of one who has just done a comp?